Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Technology

I frequently forget how much my life centers around technology. Most of my hobbies are now centered around technology: my artwork and writing are on computer. I play City of Heroes almost every day. I keep in contact with my friends via the internet.

When that technology breaks down, it's a very bad thing. Case in point, the database I have been working on for my work for the past 9 years. It's morphed and changed, but I've managed to get all of our alumni, staff, and current students into it. I had dozens of queries and reports, lists and labels, searching abilities, and more at the touch of my keyboard. (all self taught; haven't taken an Access class, so lots of trial and error).

I went to get on my database today, and it said 'Access has experienced an unexpected error.' I don't know what the state of my database is. It says the data is still there, as in the tables and queries, but the forms and reports are gone. It went from a 19 mb file to a 3.3 mb file.

After a brief time of panic and profanity, I went and checked the last time I had backed up the database on my laptop. It was January 20th, 2007, so it's not going to be bad, but still...

Technology is wonderful when it works, and I love it when you can solve a problem, but when something happens where you lose a lot of work, it's very frustrating.

I still bemoan what I call the great crash of 1999. I lost 100 some hours worth of work (mainly artwork), and I recently figured out I lost all the pictures from Kath and my honeymoon to DC from 1999. Obviously, I've learned since then to save frequently.

Which reminds me...I need to save the 2006 pictures onto a cd...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home