Monday, January 22, 2007

Elfquest

In the last couple of weeks, I've been reminded of how much I enjoy Elfquest.

Elfquest is a saga created by Wendy and Richard Pini. It’s a story of a tribe of elves known as the Wolfriders trying to find a new home and then trying to find all the different tribes of elves.

We discussed the first Elfquest book at my fantasy book club last month. My lovely wife, who chose the book, led the discussion. It was the novelization of the first graphic novel. I have to admit, I prefer the graphic novels – that thing of 1000 words and one picture. Wendy Pini is an incredible artist.

This past weekend we found an Elfquest graphic novel that we didn’t even know had come out. We were very excited about The Searcher and the Sword. We had read the most recent series, and things were referred to in there that now make a whole lot more sense.

The Searcher and the Sword featured my favorite elf Treestump, one of the elders of the Wolfriders. It was wonderful seeing him featured, and for once my favorite character wasn’t killed. (My favorite character is usually not the lead character, and if any character dies in the story, it’s my favorite one.)

Also dealt with within the panels is a human character coming to terms with an abusive relationship. Unlike many times in real life, it was nice to see the abuser get his come-uppance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home