Friday, February 02, 2007

How I Met My Wife

I’ve been dating my wife for almost 12 years, and we’ve been married 8.5 years now. The way we met was amusing. We first met each other at a Halloween party. She had moved to Minneapolis the very year I left. I was working at a tiny town in western Iowa, and everyone my age was either married with kids or hung around in bars. I didn’t have much in common with the married families, and I don’t enjoy hanging around in bars; I can’t block out noise of other people’s conversations. My students will tell you, I hear a lot more than they think that I can. In bars, I hear so much that everything is a dull roar, including the person who is right in front of me.

Anyhoo, since I didn’t find any of my own kind (i.e. gaming nerds) in Remsen, my social life was still up in the Twin Cities. Once a month, I’d head back up there. Over Halloween, I went to a party of a friend of mine. This friend is a lesbian, and she has some very attractive lesbian friends, so when I saw Kath dressed as a Greek goddess, I though, “nice looking redhead. Gotta be a lesbian.”

Yup, when I first met my wife, I thought she was a lesbian.

We really got to know each other thanks to my high school friend Nick. He started to run a Vampire the Masquerade game, and both Kath and I were playing. In the first gaming session, Nick’s sister Laura and I were playing out a roleplaying piece where her Chinese princess vampire and my Eskimo vampire were trying to communicate in broken English. At one point, Ang Mei (Laura’s character) attacked my Wendell Gogh. Wendell grabbed her wrists and growled. Kath at that point broke in with saying “What hell wrong?” I took her statement and ran with it, creating one of the most memorable roleplaying interactions that my gaming groups have ever had.



Kath and I clicked from there on out. And almost 12 years later (our first real date was April Fool’s Day going to see “The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain”) I am still madly in love with her.

5 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Huzzah!

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story.

I have known you for around 18 years now and I was at the wedding, and I had never heard that story. : )

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

Glad you guys enjoyed it. :-)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Raven's Path said...

Very nice story Lord. Griffen is wrong though, he has known you for 19 years since he met you through me, and I met you 19 years ago. Congratz to both of you for having such a loving marriage. I'm the new kids on the block with Griffin at 14 and you at 8. Man, I'm the baby at only 4 years of marriage.

(Oh, you get one point off for using the phrase 'Anyhoo'. *shudder*)

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

'Anyhoo' is a button word for you, eh. Well, I'll try to remember that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home