Monday, November 13, 2006

The Basalt Mace and the Writing Process

I have finally started truly editing the second book of my Castle Zierath trilogy. As I read through it, I realized that all the action was there, but it was really little more than a quick outline of what was going on. One criticism I received and am taking to heart is that I don't spend enough time talking about setting. My characters are fairly vivid, but they were frequently talking in a big, empty room or generic plane. I edited the first three chapters, expanded descriptions, reworked and reworded pieces.

My writing process is a long and tedious one. First, I think. I write the first draft by hand in either a notebook or on a tablet. Then, eventually, I type it into the computer, making changes as I type. I print it out and let it sit. Then I go through it again. Then I turn it over to a couple friends who go through it, and I make their changes. Then it sits again for a while. Then I go through it again, and then maybe it will be ready for me to send out to my various Zierath Alliance members who will comment on it. Then I edit it again. Then, maybe, just maybe, it will be done.

But don't count on it.

3 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I have not been one of the lucky ones to read the whole novel yet, I have noticed your focus on dialog over setting description.

What it reminded me of, was reading a play or screenplay. Which makes me ask. Have you ever thought about writing either of those? you seem to be a natural for it.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

I have thought about it, but haven't finished anything worth reading.

I guess my influence of playscripts and comic books (which would work about the same way) shows through, no?

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Raven's Path said...

I look forward to reading more of the triology. I was one of the lucky ones who got re read the first novel and was enthralled by it. I am sure your edits of that manuscript only made it better. If you need further reviewers or just want to throw a manuscript to a friend to while away the time you know my address!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home