Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Textures: Cloth


The textures of cloth is really tricking in 3DS Max. I don't have it all quite figured out, but I'm getting there. I have added many layers and levels to get this cloth to look right. I've got a bump map for the textures, a sec map to create the reflectivity level of the cloth, and an opacity map that allows us to see through it. It's taking a lot of concentration and so forth to make it all work. I also don't have all the processes down quite yet. What you are seeing is actually frame 20 of 100. I don't know how to make the fabric relaxed like this at the start of the animation instead of at the end.

Once I got the fabric about where I wanted it, I had to add tears and stains. If you take a look at the second image, you can see the winestain I added on the cloth, and it certainly has more frayed edges, and you can see through the weave. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this is coming out.

For the first time in four classes, I am really enjoying this again. Part of it is the pacing. This is a professor who fully understands that her students are mainly working folk who have limited time. The material is coming at me at a speed that I can actually learn it instead of 'oh-my-gawd-gotta-get-this-done' speed. I've been able to breath and absorb the information. It's been WONderful.

Although, I don't know if my grade will fully reflect how much I've actually learned. Ah, well. That will make up for the B+ I got in my on-line Math class. I really didn't understand any of the last concept, and still pulled off a B+ in it.

I'll be posting the work on my wine glass next. It will look cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home