Monday, November 22, 2010

First Assignments of a Textures Class

Hm. It is amazing how you can turn around twice and suddenly you're two weeks past where you wanted to post. Life sure gets like that. So much for a post a day, eh? Like that was realistic.

I have, obviously, started a new class. This one is called 'Advanced 3-D Textures.' This is a very important one that I definitely need work on, too. Heck, I need to work on all of these projects, but it's going to be nice to focus in on this project.

Of course, when you are doing textures or 'skins,' you need to put it on something. For this one, I am to create a still life. We have a model to work from. This painting by Willem Kalf. He was born in 1619 into a fairly well-off merchant family in Rotterdam. Kalf eventually moved to Paris to begin his artistic career. Most of his early paintings explored the themes of simple kitchens and interiors. My instructor narrowed our image to these five items: A pitcher, a wine glass, a silver mug, a silver plate, and a cloth napkin or towel.

So, I made these items. Or tried to. I just needed to start by getting the shapes down. So here they are.

I did discover that I had a number of the surface polygons flipped the wrong direction. You'll notice that the pitcher, the cup, and the wine glass look a little odd. I have now learned how to fix that.

The most noticeable blunder is the cloth. You'll notice it does not drape at all on the sphere I provided. I have no idea why it hasn't. It's quite frustrating, but I take some satisfaction that none of my classmates were able to do it either. Kind of petty, I know, but at least it shows that there was a major gap in the tutorials.

I'll be posting more items in the next couple of days tied to this project, and a few others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home