Friday, October 01, 2010

3D Modeling


The last class I had was one on 3D modeling. I was very excited about this one; I was going to be able to create a bipedal creature of some kind from scratch, and then be able to pose it.

Now, when I say 'excited,' I really must preface with the statement that I was looking forward to the end product, not to all the steps that led up to that final product. That is an on-going battle that I have; wanting to skip the slow and steady steps. I thought I had this tendency under control.

I was wrong.

I spent more time this class wasting time by jumping in with both feet without really looking at directions and then having to start completely over because I messed something up. Three times I scratched what I did with this character's skin and to do it better. Twice I had to go back and fix the internal skeleton (which, by the way, you add AFTER you create the skin. Interesting, no?).

I also was not looking at the process as 'fun.' I do so much better when I can have 'fun' with it. I am now working at changing my attitude to make the whole thing 'fun.' My next class, another 3d modeling class, starts on Monday. I'm looking forward to putting what I have learned to good use. I think this time we make the characters MOVE as well as pose them. Can't wait.

Here is what my biped ended up looking like. I created one of my 'Castle Zierath' rpg characters. This is Corrin Tronk. He is a 14 foot tall brontosaurus man. Corrin purposefully acts slowly and methodically in an effort to get those around him to underestimate him. Because of his size, he lets people assume he is the big, dumb muscle of his adventuring group. In reality, he is truly a careful observer of what is going on around him, and is frequently the one with the plan to get his companions out of trouble after they blunder into it. He has been known to issue forth a deep, slightly annoyed sigh when they manage to do so. He is hard to get to know, but those who get past that dull shell are frequently delighted by the wry sense of humor the huge bronton man has.

3 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Raven's Path said...

Very nice Scott! Can't wait to see what you make next.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Raven's Path said...

Very nice Scott! Can't wait to see what you do next.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

Thanks, Matt. My next major assignment is a face. I'll be posting the progress and the intermediate steps, too. I'm torn between doing my version of Hercules and a younger version of me for Castle Zierath.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home