Sunday, October 01, 2006

Top 5 Science Fiction Shows

Let’s face it; I am a science fiction/fantasy nut. I do enjoy my time watching good series and reading good books that feature space travel or space exploration, or swords and sorcery.

I do have “Top Five Science Fiction Shows” list. I’ll do them in reverse order.

5. Farscape: It’s a great quirky show with excellent humor and storyline. The characters change and get deep into some good development. I have to admit, I was very irritated when Sci Fi decided to yank it off the air. A good quality show.

4. Star Trek (The Original Series): Well, at least the first two seasons. The third season had some strong episodes, but, oye, it also had ‘Spock’s Brain’ and a couple other real losers. The show that really got me started into Science Fiction. Even with the limited character development over the series, it really is a classic. It did rather set the standard for the future shows.

3. Star Trek Deep Space Nine: I think it is the best of the Star Trek shows. It really expanded the various races and was a little bit ‘dark’ and probably honest than the Utopian point of humans that we saw in TOS and Next Gen. Also, the overall arc of the Cardassian Empire and the Wormhole – excellent. Of course, they really rather stole the idea of the overall story arc from…

2. Babylon 5. The first and last seasons were a bit on the weak side, but the second, third, and fourth seasons are perhaps the best multiple seasons on television. It was well written, led from story to story with twists and turns, and talk about character development! Wow. Hats of to Joe Straczynski and his writing of the series.

and the number one sci-fi show in my opinion…

1. Firefly. I went and told my sister to go and buy the DvDs without her ever seeing it. Heck, I told everyone I knew to do that. It was a brilliant piece of science fiction. Characters were great, storylines keeping you guessing, and humor…oh, my yes. It’s too bad that it only lasted 13 episodes. Basically, the network screwed with it. They made them show it out of order, they switched the night it showed, it was on, they didn’t give it a chance. I’m just glad that they were able to make a full-length movie out of the series with the same cast and crew. It was the finest science fiction I’ve seen on television.

Now, I do have to admit, I have not watched a lot of Stargate, the new Battlestar Galactica (which I’ve heard very good things about), or any of the other new Sci-Fi shows. (refusing to get engrossed in them – can’t trust the network to carry through with a good show.) I also haven’t seen enough of Lost to know if it should bump onto my list.

Just my opinions. Willing to discuss any and all of my ratings, and why some shows (such as Star Trek Next Gen) are not on my list. Ciao!

5 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Raven's Path said...

"You want discussion! You can't handle discussion!" Sorry, channeling Jack there for a second. Where to begin? I completely agree with you on DS9. Has been my favorite Star Trek for years and would love to see all the episodes in order. What I love about it is that since they were in one static location there was an ongoing story arc. The 'zip somewhere and solve the problem in 50 minutes' got annoying with Next Gen. I liked the original too, but I'm not sure I would put it above Next Gen.

Farscape-never watched a whole episode. Came in part way through a season and couldn't follow what was going on.

Bab 5-we've had this discussion. You are one of many people that have told me that season 2 is much better than one. I guess I should rent them and start there as I can't stand season 1

Firefly-agreed that it was good. I haven't seen all the episodes, but I generaly liked the ones I did see. I loved the Serenity movie.

Stargate is a good show. Never watched it on it's original network, but have seen a number of episodes on Sci-fi, I got into a bit when Sci-fi would run 3-4 back to back.

You missed Space: Above and beyond. I think, no I know, that would be in the top 3 if not the #1 show for me. It got canceled after 2 seasons I think. You can the whole series in one box set that I really want to get. Great great show!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

I have never seen the Space Above and Beyond. Sometime or another I'll have to see that.

I was a bit torn between the Next Gen and ToS. I guess I put the original series above Next Gen because of the historical importance. I always thought that the series would have been much better if they had given the supporting cast (McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov, Chapel) more of a part and less to Kirk. I think Spock was given about the right amount of material.

Next Gen's strength is the varied cast, and the fact that they actually let the other characters besides Picard do something. I have a strong liking for good ensemble casts.

Stargate and Stargate Atlantis are also on my list to watch, and if you haven't been watching the new Doctor Who, do. It is fun.

 
At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sci Fi (espceially time travel or space episodes) rule in this home.

I have to say that Stargate (SG1 only, not Atlantis) is by far the best of sci-fi television, but you do have to watch the original movie and then the episodes in order.

Next Gen was great in part because Patrick Stewart led the cast into better acting - as time went along. I have to give a token positive vote for Voyager for having a female Captain.

Farscape was great, even if the Hensen puppet was a little too gooey. Did you catch the mini-series comeback? Clever way to regenerate characters that were written off in a fit of anger at cancellation. Ha ha.

I LOVED to see Ben Browder (Chriton) and Claudia Black (Aryn) join Stargate - now that's a great cast!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger The Lord of Castle Zierath said...

I unfortunately missed the Farscape miniseries - I really did mean to see it, but it slipped by.

I liked Janeway, but I have to admit what brought it down for me was Seven of Nine. I know she saved the show, and I like the shape of a beautiful woman as much as anyone, but it struck me as eye candy without a lot of logical depth. I know the Borg are one of the best enemy alien cultures (most alien - excellent), but they kept on bringing them back time after time. That's just my complaint, I guess though.

And Browder and Black in Stargate - what I have seen has been excellent. The 100th (200th?) episosed with the tip of the hat to Farscape - brilliant and hilarious!

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FIREFLY!!! I love that show, and I've only seen the first half of the first episode. Thankfully, a friend of mine in Des Moines has the entirety of the 13 episodes on DVD... hooray =D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home